From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr partition
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:57:54
1 On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 23:09:59 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:50:45 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I'm thinking of separating /usr onto its own partition so that I can
4 > > have it mounted read-only except while updating it. I'd prefer not to
5 > > have to make an init thingy, not having needed one up to now. Besides,
6 > > some machines have things like early-ucode or amd-uc.
7 >
8 > Most of this has already been answered, except for your final point. You
9 > can load more than one initrd at boot, so you can still apply microcode
10 > updates. For example, with systemd-boot
11 >
12 > title Desktop
13 > version 5.15.59-gentoo
14 > linux /vmlinuz-5.15.59-gentoo
15 > options root=LABEL=blah blah
16 > initrd /amd-uc.img
17 > initrd /initramfs-5.15.59-gentoo.img
18 >
19 > I use dracut to create the initrd, which is so straighforward even Dale
20 > can't break it ;-)
21
22 :)
23
24 That seems to be the way to go then - even dinosaurs die out in the end.
25 Perhaps Dale will show us the command he referred to.
26
27 Thank you all for your help.
30 Regards,
31 Peter.