From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:05:59
1 On 11/26/2010 05:57 PM, Stroller wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > As per subject, what's the best way to improve interactivity with
5 > heavy disk activity, please?
6 >
7 > Or perhaps a better question would be: what approaches are
8 > available?
9 >[...]
10 >
11 > But I have also heard of `ionice` in the past:
12 > http://linux.die.net/man/1/ionice
13 >
14 > I've never used that - in fact, I can't recall ever having to use the
15 > regular `nice` - but I think maybe I should consider it.
16
17 'nice' is for CPU time. 'ionice' is for disk I/O time. So yes, it
18 helps a lot with heavy disk tasks if you run them -c3. This is why
19 Portage has support for ionice (PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND). There's also
20 'schedtool' (sys-process/schedtool).
21
22 The way I solved the I/O problems is to use the sys-kernel/ck-sources
23 kernel (2.6.36-r3). It shouldn't be necessary to use ionice and
24 schedtool for most tasks, but I use it for portage with this in make.conf:
25
26 PORTAGE_NICENESS=19
27 PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="sh -c \"schedtool -D \${PID}; ionice -c 3 -p
28 \${PID}\""
29
30 But you can use this method for everything you want. Running something
31 with nice -19, ionice -c3 and schedtool -D should make it pretty much
32 invisible; it should have zero impact on interactivity. At least that's
33 the case here when using sys-kernel/ck-sources.