From: v_2e@×××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : (1) which CPU ?
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:00:57
1 Hello!
2
3 On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:44:11 +0200
4 Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > Am 21.07.2012 07:55, schrieb waltdnes@××××××××.org:
7 > > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 08:49:32PM -0500, Alecks Gates wrote
8 > >
9 > >> I'd pick AMD, and very likely one of their APUs if you don't need
10 > >> intense graphics, as they seem to be able to handle most things
11 > >> well and even some light gaming.
12 > >
13 > > How do AMD's and Intel's open source video drivers compare?
16 > Last time I tried to use AMD's open source driver, it worked well for
17 > office applications and minor OpenGL (glxgears, desktop effects, etc.)
18 > but it couldn't play a DVD on full screen (1920 * x) without frame
19 > drops. (Yes, I tried tuning parameters with mplayer2).
20 >
21 > Intel's driver works well enough for this but it doesn't have much
22 > head room, either.
23 >
24 > ATI's closed source driver works pretty well, too, nowadays. I had
25 > trouble with xorg-server-1.12 but haven't investigated it, yet.
26 >
27 > Regards,
28 > Florian Philipp
29 >
30 One of my friends uses ATI video card both on desktop and laptop
31 machines and he told me recently that the free driver for ATI video
32 chips ( http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/ati ) is very good nowadays
33 and is being actively developed.
34 He also said that the performance of his video card with open-source
35 driver in different modes is almost the same as with the proprietary
36 driver. I just don't remember the exact video card model, unfortunately.
37
38 And according to this article:
39 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3NDE
40 AMD releases the code for some newer chips as well. Which gives more
41 chance for the new hardware to work good with GNU/Linux.
42
43 Regards,
44 Vladimir
45