From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-up: Several kernel versions have severe EXT4 data corruption bug
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 08:18:26
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > On Oct 26, 2012 3:14 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Pandu Poluan wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >>
10 > >> On Oct 25, 2012 10:08 AM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com
11 > <mailto:mikemol@×××××.com>> wrote:
12 > >> >
13 > >> >
14 > >> > http://lwn.net/Articles/521022/
15 > >> >
16 > >> > Links to relevant analysis. Useful comments. 'nuff said.
17 > >> >
18 > >> > --
19 > >> > :wq
20 > >>
21 > >> Nice find, thanks. But the update to that article which gave a link
22 > to Theo T'so email is quite unnerving. He said that his initial
23 > hypothesis had not been proven and he himself is back in the dark.
24 > >>
25 > >> Not much confidence in ext4 for the time being for me. Back to
26 > reiserfs? ;-)
27 > >>
28 > >> Rgds,
29 > >> --
33 > > Or just don't update the kernel until it is fixed. After all, if the
34 > kernel you are using works and is not a serious security problem, just
35 > use it for a while. They will fix it pretty soon I'm sure.
38 > Unfortunately, since Ted T'so himself couldn't even pinpoint what's
39 > wrong, how can I be sure that other kernel versions are unaffected?
40 >
41 > Rgds,
42 > --
46 Well, sometimes you just have to go with what you know. I saw a list of
47 the versions that are affected so I would avoid those at least. This
48 could be one of those times where a older kernel may be a good idea. ;-)
49
50 Dale
51
55 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!