From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openshot-2.0.6.ebuild
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 01:04:43
1 On Friday 25 March 2016 14:40:57 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 09:40:07 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > > A user has 2 choices:
4 > > >
5 > > > - set python2 as default and configure packages that can use python3
6 > > > to use it
7 > > > - set python3 as default and configure packages that requires python2
8 > > > to use it
9 > > >
10 > > > Which method you use depends entirely on what packages you use.
11 > >
12 > > But Gentoo has two python versions set: a python 2 and a python 3. I
13 > > assume that ebuilds specify which version they need, so the default is
14 > > rarely used.
15 > >
16 > > In that case it won't matter which is set as default.
17 >
18 > It's not the ebuilds, they are written n bash, it's the various scripts
19 > you tun. If they specify the interpreter as python2 or python3,
20 > everything is fine (you can eselect the default for each of these) but if
21 > it just calls python, the script had better be written for the version
22 > you have as default.
23 >
24 > On the basis that all python3 scripts were written at a time when the
25 > difference was known, but the same does not apply to all python2 scripts,
26 > I prefer to leave the default at python2. That was everything should run,
27 > no matter how old it is.
28
29 Hmm. I'll have to give that some thought.
32 Rgds
33 Peter
34
35 linux counter 5290, 1994/04/23