From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Winter clock change did not happen
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:22:25
1 On Sunday 31 October 2010 16:02:14 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > On Sunday 31 October 2010 13:29:20 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
4 > >> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
5 > >> > On Sunday 31 October 2010 10:05:15 Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 > >> >> On Sunday 31 October 2010 09:34:25 Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 > >> >> > All my calendars (electronic and dead-tree) tell me that daylight
8 > >> >> > savings switches at the END of today not at the beginning
9 > >> >>
10 > >> >> That's not true in the UK: the switch is done at 02:00 on the Sunday.
11 > >> >> My Gentoo and Ubuntu boxes have switched to GMT correctly this
12 > >> >> morning, and so has the radio-synchronised clock on the kitchen
13 > >> >> wall.
14 > >> >>
15 > >> >> I think Mick does have a problem in his Gentoo setup.
16 > >> >>
17 > >> > :-(
18 > >> >
19 > >> > Thanks Peter, do you dual boot with MSWindows?
20 > >> >
21 > >> > I've noticed this problem on two different boxen, both of them dual
22 > >> > boot with MSWindows. A Gentoo only box of mine switched over to
23 > >> > winter time correctly - so it must be my dual boot set up that is
24 > >> > causing this problem.
25 > >>
26 > >> It is a problem caused by the settings needed for Linux to live with
27 > >> Windows on the same computer.
28 > >
29 > > Is there a fix? I thought that the setting of CLOCK="local" in
30 > > /etc/conf.d/clock was to address the problem of having to dual boot with
31 > > MSWindows.
32 >
33 > That is the setting I was talking about (I wonder why I said
34 > "setting*s*" before, sorry for that).
35 >
36 > It is used to address the problem that Windows expects the hardware
37 > clock to have the local time value (hence "local"), that is, what you
38 > see when you ask the computer what time is it. Because the usual setting
39 > is UTC, that is, time with no timezone and/or DST "shift" - GNU/linux
40 > does the math and shows you your local time. Local time clock forces you
41 > (or the OS) to change it every time there is some DST change.
42
43 I think I am getting confused, so why didn't Gentoo change the clock to winter
44 time until after I booted into MSWindows?
45
46 > In other words, that makes linux use the hardware clock the same way
47 > windows uses it.
48
49 MSWindows changed it to winter time when I eventually booted into it. Gentoo
50 wouldn't show the winter time until I had first booted into MSWindows. If the
51 setting CLOCK="local" is meant to make Gentoo use the hardware clock like
52 MSWindows does, why it did not behave the same as MSWindows with the DST
53 change?
54 --
55 Regards,
56 Mick