From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB automount
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 06:53:32
1 On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 09:03:50AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
2
3 > I don't understand, why are you using sudo to run pmount when its core
4 > purpose is to be run by normal users?
5 >
6 > % whatis pmount
7 > pmount (1) - mount arbitrary hotpluggable devices as normal user
8
9 A normal user can pumount *WHAT THAT SAME USER* has pmounted. Now try
10 for a general solution. If you're the only user on the system, it's
11 probably safe to keep an open xterm logged in to root. The problem is
12 that inserting a USB device sets off a kernel event, that is passed to
13 mdev, which looks for a script name in /etc/mdev.conf. If a script is
14 found that matches the device spec (i.e. sd[a-z].*), e.g. my automount
15 script, then the script is launched *AS ROOT*. Given that root has
16 mounted the device, only root can unmount it. E.g. when root pmounts a
17 device and normal user tries to pumount it, I get...
18
19 waltdnes@d531 ~ $ pumount sdb1
20 Error: device /dev/sdb1 was not mounted by you
21
22 Note also that the automount script has to first create a directory in
23 /media, before mounting it. Since /media is drwxr-xr-x the directory
24 has to be created by root, or else I have to open up /media to writing
25 and directory creation by all users. The most secure approach is to
26 have the system do things as root without user intervention, as much as
27 possible.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
31 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications