From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [~amd64] NFS server broken again :(
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:35:08
1 On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Since Gentoo's rpcbind.service has "Wants=rpcbind.target" and
4 >> "Before=rpcbind.target"", having nfs-server.service depend on
5 >> rpcbind.target rather than rpcbind.service should work as long as
6 >> rpcbind.service is enabled.
7 >>
8 >> But having "Requires=rpcbind.service" and "After=rpcbind.service",
9 >> like nfsd.service has/had, means that you don't have to enable
10 >> rpcbind.service.
11 >
12 > I was just looking at that and thinking the same thing. Nothing is
13 > really forcing rpcbind to load the way things are specified right now.
14 > If a service really requires another service to operate, it should say
15 > that. There is no problem doing that via a target, but then the
16 > target still needs to pull it in.
17
18 Wouldn't the solution to this problem to have a news item to let the
19 user know that rpcbind was being started as a dependency of
20 nfsd.service but that it now needs to be enabled in order to be
21 started by nfs-server.service?
24 > There seems a general tendency in systemd to express dependencies as
25 > "after" instead of "requires." That is fine if the service doesn't
26 > really require something else, but if there really is a true
27 > dependency then it just causes problems when somebody doesn't notice
28 > and fails to enable the other unit.
29
30 AFAIK they're completely different and you can have service1 have a
31 "Requires" on service2 but have service2 start before service1. So if
32 someone's using "After" and expecting "Requires", he/she is bound to
33 be surprised by the result.
34
35 Is "After" really necessary as an option? I've never come across a
36 service that uses "After" without a "Requires" or a Wants" but I've
37 never taken the time to look.