From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] executing a file on a usb thumb drive
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 02:53:30
1 On 22/3/20 12:53 am, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > Dale,
3 >
4 > On Saturday, 2020-03-21 08:06:35 -0500, you wrote:
5 >
6 >> ...
7 >> Mind if I'm nosy for a minute.  I'd like to store files on a USB stick
8 >> that are encrypted as well.  However, I'd like it to be able to work no
9 >> matter what OS is used.  I googled but thought it was not possible.  You
10 >> seem to have found a way to do this, broken at the moment but there's hope.
11 > For what it's worth, I'm successfully using VeraCrypt (the successor of
12 > TrueCrypt) on both, Windows and Gentoo, to read and write encrypted USB
13 > sticks.
14 >
15 > See "https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html" for their web site and just
16 > emerge "app-crypt/veracrypt".
17 >
18 > Sincerely,
19 > Rainer
20 >
21 That would have been my preference but I am a user on an enterprise
22 locked down version of windows (probably lucky they let me use usb!) -
23 the securestick webdav approach sidesteps the fact that windows
24 encryption (as almost all usb encryption in apps on windows like
25 veracrypt crypt do) goes through the kernel so it (in my case) has been
26 used to enforce policy which is only aimed at the common security risks
27 (so has it has left some holes :)  The alternative I used previously was
28 an encrypted archive copy'd back and forward.  With Securestick I can
29 sync using unison on this side, and a windows app on the other.
30
31 BillK
32
33 * if there is something better than securestick out there, like Dale I
34 would love to hear of it!