From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] interrupting runscripts during startup
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:03:32
1 Renat Golubchyk writes:
2
3 > On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 00:02:47 +0200 Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > > When hitting Ctrl-C during startup, I manage to interrupt services at
6 > > the early stages of init, yet later-on I can no-longer do this. It
7 > > seems that up till runlevel 'default', services can be hit with the
8 > > interrupt.
9 >
10 > Why do you want to stop services by hitting CTRL-C ?
11
12 I do this when a periodic files system check of a large partition kicks in
13 and I do not want to spend the time waiting for it.
14 Other things I like to interrupt are long timeouts, e.g. while some
15 program waits for a server to respond, but I do not have an internet
16 connection at the moment. I had this problem with an annoyingly large NTP
17 timeout (it seems to be much smaller these days), and I wished I could
18 have stopped it.
19
20 Wonko