From: Kevin Hanson <tuxpert@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slots
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:14:38
1 Jeff Grossman wrote:
2
3 >Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
7 >>On 11/26/05, Jeff Grossman <jeff@×××××××.com> wrote:
10 >>>I have just realized about programs that can be installed in slots.
11 >>>Is there a way for me to find out what programs are installed in more
12 >>>than one slot on my computer? Can I tell if a particular program in a
13 >>>slot is still needed?
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>"emerge --prune --pretend world" will tell you all packages that have
17 >>more than one version installed (ie. slotted).
18 >>
19 >>As for finding out whether a particular version of a slotted package
20 >>is still needed or not, well, you could do:
21 >>
22 >>emerge --prune <pkg>
23 >>emerge -Dv world
24 >>revdep-rebuild
25 >>
26 >>But the above is a bit dangerous, and could break your system. Be careful.
32 I like the old 'etcat'. You can still find it on your system at
33 /usr/share/doc/gentoolkit-<version>/deprecated/etcat/etcat.
34
35 I use 'etcat versions <pkg>' all the time. The number in parentheses is
36 the slot that package is in. E.G. for php:
37
38 [ Results for search key : php ]
39 [ Candidate applications found : 13 ]
40
41 Only printing found installed programs.
42
43 * dev-lang/php :
44 [ ~ ] 4.3.11-r4 (4)
45 [ ~ ] 4.4.0-r4 (4)
46 [ I] 4.4.1-r2 (4)
47 [M~ ] 5.0.4-r4 (5)
48 [M~ ] 5.0.5-r4 (5)
49 * dev-php/php :
50 [ ] 4.3.11 (0)
51 [ ] 4.3.11-r1 (0)
52 [ ] 4.3.11-r3 (0)
53 [ ] 4.3.11-r4 (0)
54 [ ] 4.4.0 (0)
55 [ ] 4.4.0-r1 (0)
56 [ ] 4.4.0-r3 (0)
57 [ ] 4.4.0-r4 (0)
58
59 This shows that I have ver 4.4.1-r2 installed on my system in slot 4.
60
61 I haven't found an equivalent w/ equery. I create a symbolic link from
62 the etcat location above to /usr/local/bin. However, everytime
63 gentoolkit is updated, I have to update the link.
64
65 Cheers,
66 Kevin
67 --