From: "Michael W. Holdeman" <lists@××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] VMware and cpu_states on Dell 9300
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:19:03
1 I purchased a new Dell 9300 to replace teh 8600 I have been using. The lap is
2 nearly identical to teh 8600. When running VMWare with w2k it was unbearably
3 slow. Through some googeling and VMWare's forums I found that teh cpu kept
4 going to sleep state when running vmware. So the best solution I found so far
5 is to write a bash script as below:
6
7 #!/bin/bash
8 echo 1 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate
9 vmwarearts
10 echo 8 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate
11
12 I named it vmware_script and placed it in /etc/vmware, and execute it to run
13 vmware. It works great as long as I execute as root :
14 chmod o+w /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate
15 So that as a user you can execute the max_cstate command.
16
17 This works but whenever you boot the laptop you have to su to root and execute
18 teh chmod again or the state will not be enforced and vmware is deathly slow.
19
20 Does anyone here have a better solution??
21
22 Mike
25 Michael W. Holdeman
29 Powered by Gentoo Linux www.gentoo.org |
30 Kernel 2.6.15-ck2 |
31 VMWare Workstation 5.5.1 vmware.com |
32 Win4LinPro 6.1.1-03 win4lin.com |
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list