From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Advice for System monitor + Intrusion Detection tools?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:13:14
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 22:41 on Monday 22 November 2010, Stroller did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On 22/11/2010, at 8:29am, Lubos Kolouch wrote:
5 > > Stroller, Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:06:57 +0000:
6 > >> On 19/11/2010, at 8:45pm, Fatih Tümen wrote:
7 > >>> I just want to beware of anything unusual instantly, preferably by
8 > >>> email. This is a single or two user laptop.
9 > >>
10 > >> I've been meaning for some time to look for something like this myself.
11 > >> I'm personally only interested in messages from the RAID controller, and
12 > >> I'm not sure that I'm a high-risk for intrusion, but I do want to know
13 > >> about it *immediately* if a drive fails, so that ideally I can pop into
14 > >> the store on the way home and pick up a new disk to replace the one that
15 > >> failed.
16 > >
17 > > Seems to me like a use case for nagios
18 >
19 > This makes it appear waaay overkill for my purposes:
20 > http://www.nagios.org/about/screenshots
21 >
22 > All I want is a simple email notification when $string appears in the log.
23 >
24 > I'm actually a little surprised that there isn't a syslogger which can
25 > parse stuff as it writes it out, and thus perform actions, such as
26 > mailing. I'm assuming there isn't, since no-one has mentioned it.
27 >
28 > Stroller.
31 syslog-ng-3.2 with the new patterndb
32
33 It doesn't do it out of the box, you have to write the pattern match
34 (conceptually similar to a regex) and you have to pipe the output to a script
35 which mails you, but it can be done.
36
37 Or you could just use OSSEC where *all* the heavy lifting above has been done.
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com