From: krzaq <krzakers@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntp problem
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:23:34
1 On 8/23/05, Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 8/23/05, kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > That offset looks rather large. NTP really wants to make constant small
4 > > changes, not a single huge change. This is why the ntpd setup allows for
5 > > an immediate sync via ntpdate before starting the daemon. To fix this
6 > > I'd shut down ntpd, run ntpdate 192.168.7.1, and then start ntpd again.
7 >
8 > That's what I did yesterday before leaving work. It synced with
9 > ntpdate, and I left ntpd running. Today, the offset was like that.
10 > That's what I don't understand.
11 Hmmmm...
12 If you specify one timeserver, ntp cannot tell which clock is drifting
13 away (local
14 or remote). Ntpd trusts the local clock more than the remote one.
15 Large offsets cause ntpd to discard 192.168.7.1 as reliable timesource.
16 Try adding on this one machine more time servers and observe what will happen.
19 Regards
20 Karol Krzak
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list