From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:47:42
1 Am 31.07.2014 05:50, schrieb Alec Ten Harmsel:
2 >> okular is not a 'stinking pdf reader'. Nice try. But just like konqueror
3 >> it is just a wrapper around kparts and is able to deal with a lot more
4 >> files than just pdf and postscript.
5 >>
6 >> That is what 'modular' and 'code reuse' really means.
7 >>
8 >> And the opposite to what gnome does. 'oh, there is an app. Hijack it and
9 >> gnomify it and make it dependent on 2 douzend gnome libs that all do the
10 >> same but nobody ever cleaned up'.
11 > You're right about the code reuse if you're running KDE, but I'd rather
12 > not install *all* of Qt and a bunch of other crap just to view PDFs and
13 > such. I think that's all he's arguing.
14
15 well, do you complain if you have to install *all* of gtk + gnome
16 objects+introspection+gconf?
17 >
18 > I love having KDE on my desktop (and okular is really nice), but on my
19 > laptop (i3wm) I spend the vast majority of my time in vim and on the
20 > terminal and shouldn't have to essentially install KDE to view a PDF
21 > when I need to check some LaTeX formatting. Just contrast with evince; I
22 > disabled nautilus integration, and my machine only has 5 gnome packages,
23 > 2 of which are icon sets.
24 >
25 > Alec
26 >
27 > .
30 how much do you have to install if you deactivate all use flags for
31 okular? well, you still have all of qt... and kdelibs and phonon... but
32 you would loose a lot of the other stuff. vlc support in phonon is as
33 optional as tiff or chm in okular.