From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing Gentoo: Grub, alternate GNU/Linux system on another partition
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 06:51:31
1 On Monday 05 Dec 2011 23:33:12 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2011-12-05, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Monday 05 Dec 2011 21:58:44 Grant Edwards wrote:
4 > >> On 2011-12-05, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> >> You can only have one primary bootloader, either grub from Gentoo or
6 > >> >> grub2 from Mint, it cannot be both. But it looks like that's what you
7 > >> >> do have. Seeing as you intend to drop Mint eventually, you must
8 > >> >> uninstall grub2 and all it's files from Mint.
9 > >> >
10 > >> > Not *exactly* true.
11 > >>
12 > >> It is for the usual definition of "primary bootloader" as the one that
13 > >> is loaded and run by the BIOS.
14 > >>
15 > >> > Grub can chainload any bootloader that's visible to BIOS. At minimum,
16 > >> > that means you could have grub on /dev/sda
17 > >>
18 > >> (primary bootloader)
19 > >>
20 > >> > chainload grub on /dev/sdb
21 > >>
22 > >> (secondary bootloader).
23 > >>
24 > >> > I'm uncertain if it means you could chainload a bootloader stored in
25 > >> > the first 512 bytes of /dev/sda8, but I suspect so.
26 > >>
27 > >> You're right, you can. Though to get grub2 to install on a partition
28 > >> like /dev/sda8 instead of in the MBR you have to use the --force
29 > >> option or you'll get some incomprehensable error message when you try
30 > >> to do the 'setup' command.
31 > >
32 > > Last time I installed Ubuntu on a machine that had a different primary
33 > > OS/bootloader I chose for it to be installed on the Ubuntu partition and
34 > > there was not problem with it. It was GRUB2
35 >
36 > I tried that a couple weeks ago with several different versions of
37 > Ubuntu and it didn't work with any of them. The installer was
38 > perfectly happy letting my chose a partition as a destination, and
39 > there were no error messages or warnings, but it just didn't work
40 > after it was installed.
41 >
42 > I had to boot the Ubuntu live CD and then install grub2 in the Ubuntu
43 > partition by hand using the --force option.
44
45 Hmm ... maybe they changed their scripts? It's been some time (more than a
46 year? ) since I tried it.
47 --
48 Regards,
49 Mick