From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pvcreate won't create pv
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 01:14:03
1 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 05:56:58PM -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > >
5 > > felix@×××××××.com wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > Got my two 4TB drives installed. Now I need to get stuff off /dev/hda
8 > > > so I can turn it into an LVM volumne. So I copied everything there to
9 > > > the the 7.3TB LVM filesystem, then tried to create a new pv on
10 > > > /dev/hda1. No joy. I get
11 > > >
12 > > > Device /dev/hda1 not found (or ignored by filtering).
13 > > >
14 > > > /dev/hda has only /dev/hda1 which takes all the space. The partition
15 > > > type is 8e, Linux LVM. It's not mounted. I tried pvcreate -f. I
16 > > > tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 count=1. What is pvcreate really
17 > > > complaining about?
18 > > How come its hda? Perhaps this is the problem, it certainly should be
19 > > fixed anyway.
20 >
21 > Because it was set up that way 8 years ago. /dev/hda is the only IDE
22 > drive in the system, and has the MBR, so I can't make /dev/hda an LVM
23 > volume, it has to be /dev/hda1. I don't want to make some other drive
24 > the boot drive; they are LVM volumes also. And I also want an hd(0,x)
25 > for grub which doesn't change as I add new drives.
26 >
27 > Besides all that, why do you think it's a problem and how do you
28 > propose fixing it?
29 If they are serial ata drives, I thought newer kernels would use
30 /dev/sda etc. Is this really a ide drive? Or do you have the BIOS
31 pretend they are?
34 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
35 How do
36 you spend it?
37
38 John Covici