From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: star
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:52:10
1 On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:14:58 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > Back to tar: Why use "tar -j" in scripts, when "bzip2 | tar"
4 > does the same thing? I very much disagree that "tar -j" is
5 > the "better" option here;
6
7 Either way requires that you first determine the type of compression used
8 before you can decide where to pipe tar's output, if at all. Whereas
9 something like "tar xf somefile" avoids the need to do" file somefile"
10 and parse the output first.
11
12 > in fact, I'd say that "bzip2 | tar"
13 > is the better option, as it works on a lot more systems than
14 > "tar -j" does. Heck, "tar -j" even does not work on all GNU
15 > tar implementations, as very old GNU tars don't have bzip2
16 > support at all and -j wasn't always used for bzip2.
17
18 If you don't know the details of the platform running your script, you
19 should of course stick to POSIX, which tar can do fine. But if your
20 script in running in an environment you control, why not make use of more
21 efficient methods?
24 > > POSIX
25 > > specifies the minimum set of options and features, not the maximum. As
26 > > long as the standards aren't broken, nothing is wrong, and adding new,
27 > > useful and compatible features is one way that standards get
28 > > improved.
29 >
30 > No, it's not. To improve a standard, you make sure that the standard
31 > gets amended and then you implement something. Not the other way around.
32
33 That's not how evolution works. Things are tried, some (most) fall by the
34 wayside and others are accepted. As long as you don't break the standard
35 with your enhancements, where's the harm in improvement? I know car
36 analogies are tired, but it's like arguing that all cars should be
37 designed to meet the minimum standards required by law, and if the law
38 doesn't stipulate air conditioning, we don't need it - that example is
39 usually true here in the UK :(
43 Neil Bothwick
44
45 The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.