From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lockdown: free/open OS maker pays Microsoft ransom for the right to boot on users' computers
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 07:45:26
1 Am 02.06.2012 04:26, schrieb William Kenworthy:
2 > http://boingboing.net/2012/05/31/lockdown-freeopen-os-maker-p.html
3 >
4 > and something I had not considered with the whole idea was even bootable
5 > cd's and usb keys for rescue will need the same privileges ...
6 >
7 > BillK
13 I find this article lacking in substance. You get a much more reasonable
14 view reading the original blog post by Matthew Garrett [1].
15
16 A few points:
17 > "meaning that unless Microsoft has blessed your favorite flavor of
18 > GNU/Linux or BSD, you won't be able to just install it on your
19 > machine, or boot to it from a USB stick or CD to try it out."
20
21 You don't have to be "blessed". You could call your distribution
22 BallmerSucks and still get a certificate. You just have to register,
23 authenticate and pay the fee. Anything else would earn them an antitrust
24 law suite they wouldn't forget.
25
26 > "There is a work-around for some systems involving a finicky and
27 > highly technical override process, but all that means is that
28 > installing proprietary software is easy and installing free/open
29 > software is hard."
30
31 They mean "finicky" as in "go to the BIOS and switch it off" and "some
32 systems" as in "all x86 hardware but not ARM"? Yeah, the situation is
33 not nice but it is not as bad as it could be. Microsoft requires that it
34 can be switched off for x86. It forbids it for ARM, though. The article
35 gets that bit right.
36
37 Regarding the 99$ "ransom": It is a one-off payment. The article should
38 have made that clear.
39
40 Okay, enough bashing the article. Some technical question: As I
41 understand it, if I want to make a live CD or a distribution, all I'd
42 need to do is to use Fedora's kernel and boot loader? That's not so bad.
43
44 [1] http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html
45
46 Regards,