From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: e2fsck -c when bad blocks are in existing file?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 19:34:20
1 On Saturday, 12 November 2022 16:44:05 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2022-11-12, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday, 9 November 2022 16:53:13 GMT Laurence Perkins wrote:
4 > >> Badblocks doesn't ask to write anything at the end of the run. You
5 > >> tell it whether you want a read test, a write-read test or a
6 > >> read-write-read-replace test at the beginning.
7 > >
8 > > Not to labour the point, but 'e2fsck -v -c' runs a read test and at
9 > > the end it informs me "... Updating bad block inode", even if it
10 > > came across no read errors (0/0/0) and consequently does not prompt
11 > > for a fs repair.
12 >
13 > That's _e2fsck_ thats doing the writing at the end, not badblocks. The
14 > statement was that _badblocks_ doesn't ask to write anything at the
15 > end of the run.
16
17 Thanks for correcting me, the badblocks man page also makes this clear.
18 Unless an output file is specified, it will only display the list of bad
19 blocks on its standard output. It's been a while since I had to run badblocks
20 and forgot its behaviour.
21
22 Have your questions been answered satisfactorily by Lawrence's contribution?