From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 00:01:03
1 > As a independent consultant, most companies over the years frown on remote
2 > work. So I've mostly gotten stuck driving a lot, or working on things nobody
3 > else (sane) would touch. So one does develop thick skin; but most of this
4 > work was engineering hardware or embedded systems. It's even worse if you
5 > are an employee. So, in the past I just dedicated a windoze machine
6 > and linux machine where needed on fresh installs for their peace of mind.
7 > Granted, I only had a few customers at any given time, so traditional
8 > backups completed the remote work environment. I'd like to move into 2016
9 > and the cloud using the latest of what is available for remote workers.
12 > So for 18 months now, I have been poking around extensively in the
13 > cluster/cloud space. Remote work is mostly mandatory; it fits in with their
14 > business model and devops needs. Since January, 2016, I've had an explosion
15 > of remote opportunities, to the point that something fundamental here in the
16 > US has changed with remote work. So Kudos to Grant for starting this thread
17 > and I deeply appreciate what everyone has contributed. I am hoping that the
18 > 'corporate folks' have a solution for remote workers (employees or
19 > contractors) so I do not have to be responsible for that security design of
20 > the remote component. I have my doubts. There is also an dramatic up-tick in
21 > using gentoo in cluster/cloud solutions from my perspective. When I suggest
22 > folks benchmark their codes on the platforms they are running on and then
23 > gentoo underneath, most ceed that ground without testing. The few that do
24 > test, once they get past the bitching on installing gentoo, are quite amazed
25 > at the performance gains using gentoo under their cluster/cloud.
28 > What I hope is that a companion-reference iptables/nftable configuration
29 > and the options from this thread make it to the gentoo wiki. I have have
30 > static IPs at home and fiber so a solution for that scenario is keenly
31 > appreciated, just in case the companies I work for do not have something
32 > robust that allows a gentoo workstation to be a remote work companion to
33 > whatever they use (windoze, chrome, apple, etc) for a secure solution via
34 > remote work connections.
37 This is really interesting stuff, thank you James.
38
39 - Grant