From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'su' missing
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 06:29:29
1 On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 at 04:25, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > My practice for many years has been to have a root terminal running,
4 > which I start via 'konsole' + 'su'. After a system update + reboot,
5 > I am confronted with :
6 >
7 > Warning: Could not find 'su', starting '/bin/bash' instead.
8 > Please check your profile settings.
9 >
10 > 499: ~> su
11 > bash: su: command not found
12 >
13 > I always start from a raw terminal & use 'startx',
14 > so hopefully I can still login as root & do system things that way,
15 > but can anyone suggest what might have caused this problem ?
16 > -- one pkg which was updated was 'shadow' : might that be the cause ?
17
18 That is the package which provides it on my box at least. It has a
19 'su' USE flag, maybe it somehow got flipped on your box?
20
21 Regards,
22 Arve