From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software RAID vs "Fake" RAID
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:32:28
1 > It has survived several crashes/power outages. For my RAID5 (four
2 > 500gb drives) it took about 90 minutes for the raid to verify after
3 > such incidents. I know there are benefits to hardware RAID but for low
4 > cost/low importance (it's my home PC) the software RAID is good enough
5 > for me.
6
7 Software raid is perfect for a situation like this, also, the choice
8 for raid5 (or raid6) is good because while it provides redundance
9 (security when a drive fails) it also supports growing (you can make
10 the array bigger by adding drives), as long as the file system on it
11 supports growing.
12
13 I'm not sure how 'growing' support is handled in hardware raid and i'm
14 ready to believe it is inexistant in fakeraid... but I'm saying so
15 without knowing...
16
17 Simon