From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When to reboot after updates to the system
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:58:47
1 You've been hanging around Windows users too much <G>. Linux normally doesn't
2 require a reboot. Sometimes you have to restart the deamons with
3 the /etc/init.d/whatever restart.
4
5 On Friday April 28 2006 20:42, Kevin wrote:
6 > Hi All-
7 >
8 > I've read the portage documentation at
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=gentoo and I've searched
10 > and browsed the gentoo-user mailing list archive, but I have a question
11 > that I don't see answered anywhere.
12 >
13 > It seems to me that it must be true that sometimes, after a system
14 > upgrade done with:
15 >
16 > emerge -uD system
17 > or
18 > emerge -uD world
19 >
20 > I must reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.
21 >
22 > I could be wrong on this, but it seems reasonable to me to think that I
23 > should reboot in certain circumstances. Perhaps after an upgrade to the
24 snip
25 > -Kevin
29 Brett I. Holcomb
30 --