From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: My X11 mouse icons have acquired unwanted borders. Help!
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 22:12:21
1 2011/10/16 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>:
2 > On 10/16/2011 04:41 PM, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 2011/10/16 Alan Mackenzie<acm@×××.de>:
5 >>>
6 >>> Hi, Jesús.
7 >>>
8 >>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 01:41:21PM +0200, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella
9 >>> wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Does this happen on other WMs as well?
12 >>>
13 >>> Yes, it happens on xfce, too.
14 >>
15 >> That probably confirms it's not a gnome issue. The cursor is an X
16 >> thing, in any case.
17 >
18 > Er, the used mouse pointer can be configured by almost any DE.  You don't
19 > need to mess with X config files.  And I'm pretty sure it's not just KDE
20 > that offers a GUI config dialog for this.
21
22 I assumed that the problem of the OP is not that s/he's not able to
23 set a pointer theme. Maybe I was wrong in that assumption. If that's
24 the case then this can be easily sorted out by opening the gnome
25 control center as you said, and setting the mouse theme. There are
26 many themes in the portage tree as well.
27
28 It can be set manually in ~/.Xdefaults as well. OR just by putting the
29 theme in /usr/share/icons/default/ or ~/.icons/default/, if my memory
30 serves correctly. You can pick any mouse pointer theme from
31 {gnome,kde}-look as well and install it as described.
32
33 I have no idea if the default X pointer theme has changed lately.
36 Jesús Guerrero Botella