From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] abi_x86_32 FLAG
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:05:38
1 On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:36:52 -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:
2
3 > > Better yet, upgrade to grub:2 already.
6 > I only use grub2 on machines with EFI, and in my house that's only
7 > two...
8 >
9 > I can't stand how it tries to add things automatically. It actually got
10 > so annoying that I created a manual boot entry that is symlinked to the
11 > kernel I want to run. It was easier than trying to fight it all the
12 > time.
13
14 GRUB2 doesn't add anything automatically, you have to run grub2-mkconfig
15 to generate automatic entries. If you want to run that but not generate
16 the automatic entries, chmod -x /etc/grub.d/10_linux.
17
18 On the other hand, if you want to kee things simple on a UEFI box, remove
19 GRUB altogether and use Gummiboot.
20
21 I use GRUB on BIOS systems and Gummiboot on UEFI ones. The version of
22 GRUB is whatever was current at the tome the system was set up. I never
23 saw a reason to change a working system from legacy to GRUB2. That may be
24 different now, but I retired the last of my legacy GRUB boxes earlier
25 this month.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Two rights don't make a wrong, they make an airplane.