From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM (Was: the best filesystem for server: XFS or JFS (or?))
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:38:36
1 On Thu, March 24, 2011 12:30 pm, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Thursday 24 March 2011 08:49:52 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On Wed, March 23, 2011 5:43 pm, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >> > md raid devices can do barriers. Don't know about lvm. But lvm is such
5 >> a
6 >> > can
7 >> > of worms I am surprised people still recommend it.
8 >>
9 >> What is wrong with LVM?
10 >> I've been using it successfully without any issues for years now.
11 >> It does what it says on the box.
12 >
13 > it is another layer that can go wrong. Why take the risk? There
14 > are enough cases of breakage after upgrades - and besides snapshots... is
15 > the
16 > amount of additional code running really worth it? Especially with bind
17 > mounting?
18
19 There are always things that can go wrong and I agree, adding additional
20 layers can increase the risk.
21 However, the benefits of easily and quickly changing the size of
22 partitions and creating snapshots for the use of backups are a big enough
23 benefit to off-set the risk.
24
25 Bind-mounting is ok, if you use a single filesystem for everything. I have
26 partitions that are filled with thousands of small files and partitions
27 filled with files are are, on average, at 1GB in size.
28 I haven't found a filesystem yet that successfully handles both of these
29 with identical performance.
30 When I first tested performance I found that a simple "ls" in a partition
31 would appear to just hang. This caused performance issues with my
32 IMAP-server.
33 I switched to a filesystem that better handles large amounts of small
34 files and performance increased significantly.
35
36 The way I do backups is that I stop the services, create snapshots and
37 then restart the services.
38 I then have plenty of time to backup the snapshot.
39 If I were to do this differently, I'd end up having a downtime for over an
40 hour just for a backup.
41 Now, it's barely a minute of downtime.
42
43 That, to me, is a very big bonus.
46 Joost