From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Prelink on a already fast system
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:04:41
1 On 02/15/2011 01:45 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > I was curious. I have this new rig and was wondering if prelinking would
3 > help any. It's a 4 core AMD 3.2Ghz CPU with 4Gbs, soon to be 8Gbs, of
4 > ram and a SATA 3 hard drive. On a modern system, would prelink make
5 > anything that much faster? Is it worth installing in this system?
6 >
7 > Thoughts? Opinions? Personal experience?
8
9 It helps when loading the desktop for the first time. But the
10 improvement might only be one second or so total if your hard disk is
11 fast, so it's probably not worth it. I, however, find it extremely
12 useful on some older machines I run as servers (older P4 CPUs ranging
13 from 2 to 3GHz with 1GB RAM and old, slow IDE disks); they're running
14 Debian and I think Debian doesn't even build their packages with
15 --as-needed, so prelink seems to make quite a difference there.