From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] logrotate ... won't!
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 17:12:16
1 On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I am perplexed why box of mine will not logrotate system logs, which have now
3 > grown into gigs. kern.log, syslog, messages, etc. are eating up space
4 > unconstrained, to the point where the partition run out of it.
5 >
6 > Trying to run /etc/cron.daily/logrotate from a terminal does not show anything
7 > in messages, or syslog.
8 >
9 > Particulars below:
10 >
11 > # ls -la /etc/cron.daily/logrotate
12 > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179 Feb 12 16:09 /etc/cron.daily/logrotate
15 > # cat /etc/cron.daily/logrotate
16 > #!/bin/sh
17 >
18 > /usr/bin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
19 > EXITVALUE=$?
20 > if [ $EXITVALUE != 0 ]; then
21 > /usr/bin/logger -t logrotate "ALERT exited abnormally with [$EXITVALUE]"
22 > fi
23 > exit 0
26 > This is an installation I have not really changed much from default settings.
27 > Comparing with other systems which work as expected I can't see anything
28 > amiss. How could I troubleshoot/fix this problem?
29 >
30 > --
31 > Regards,
32 > Mick
33
34 I had a similar problem a while back, and Alex Corkwell suggested
35 removing the executable bit on /etc/cron.hourly/0anacron, which did
36 the trick for me.
37
38 See gentoo-user archives for an email exchange with 'portage summary
39 logs not rotated any more' as the subject for full details.
40
41 Hope this helps.