From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Playing video and CPU usage
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 06:46:04
1 Davyd McColl wrote:
4 > On January 12, 2019 7:00:19 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > What X driver are you using? Nouveau or the proprietary nvidia one?
6 > Your glxinfo suggests neither and you should get way higher fps with
7 > glxgears on either, but most especially with the proprietary one.
8 > Personally, I tried Nouveau for a while, but found it unstable on KDE
9 > plasma - kept locking up - but I know plasma tries to run everything
10 > accelerated. Also the proprietary one is way faster for gaming.
13 I'm using nvidia.  I meant to include that in the first post but
14 forgot.  Age.  :/
15
16 [IP-] [  ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-396.54
19 I can't recall the exact FPS before with old card but I'm thinking it is somewhere close what I'm getting here. Plus the CPU usage makes me wonder.
20
21 While I don't do gaming, I still want the video card to do its job. After all, that's what it is there for. When I'm doing updates in the background, that takes away from that if Smplayer/mplayer are using a lot of CPU power.
22
23 At least it isn't just me that thinks the card isn't getting the load it should.
24
25 Dale
26