From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:04:58
1 On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009, Saphirus Sage wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 > >>> On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:.
6 > >>>
7 > >>>>> I can't think of a single reason why the installer should operate in
8 > >>>>> a different manner to the way the thing will be used.
9 > >>>>
10 > >>>> Because installation is boring. The easier it is, the better.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> wrong. The installation needs a certain difficulty to keep idiots away.
13 > >>> Nobody needs idiots (except maybe ubuntu).
14 > >>
15 > >> That is insulting. My mother uses Ubuntu. Thanks for calling her an
16 > >> idiot.
17 > >
18 > > no, I didn't call her 'idiot'. I am just stating that ubuntu tries to
19 > > cater for idiots.
20 > >
21 > >> Obviously if someone wants to use his computer in order to get
22 > >> something done without doing a Ph.D on Portage and /etc first, then that
23 > >> person is an idiot.
24 > >
25 > > no. He is an idiot if he does not read the docs. Simple. Like people who
26 > > don't read the manual to their car or vcr and then complaining if
27 > > something does not work. Idiots.
28 >
29 > And this is why RTFM is a good and common acronym.
30
31 exactly. If someone read the docs and still has a question - that is ok.
32 Googled and did not find what he looked for. Happens all the time. Nothing
33 wrong with asking a question. Nobody expects somebody to understand everything
34 or find every answer in the manuals. But somebody who didn't even try to find
35 the answer for himself - that person does not deserve help. Only pity that he
36 is such an idiot.