From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Running two apaches and MySQLs on the same server
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 20:08:25
1 On Thursday 28 May 2009 21:51:26 Stroller wrote:
2 > > So I recommend option 4:
3 > >
4 > > Pony up the money for server #2
5 >
6 > Just for the sake of satanic advocacy, could you indulge me, please?
7 >
8 > Let's say Mick is the administrator for all domains in question. He
9 > decides to run the two sites on different machines, one for
10 > MickBlog.org and one for MicrophoneShoppe.com. If MickBlog is
11 > insecure, what makes you think he will administer MicrophoneShoppe any
12 > more securely?
13
14 I suffer from a healthy dose of paranoia :-)
15
16 Added to that, my employer is an ISP and not shy with budgets, so a purchase
17 order for new hardware in a case like this will not raise any eyebrows. For
18 me, it's a low level of risk high impact scenario and the $ cost is low.
19
20 In a budget-constrained environment, it would obviously work very differently
21
22 And yes, I do indeed not trust php code at all. I've seen the audit results of
23 too many php projects that were diligently hardened and what it took to get
24 them from working state to an acceptably secure state.
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com