From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading tetex, not finding crti.o
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 04:52:32
1 On 11/30/06, Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Something that's been bugging me about my system - I accidentally used
3 > an i386 stage 3 when I installed, and didn't notice until long after the
4 > machine was configures. Can I just change the CHOST setting to i686 and
5 > use fix_libtool_files.sh along with an emerge world or something like
6 > that?
7
8 You end up recompiling *everything*. But there is a guide to help you:
9
10 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml
11
12 > Would this destroy my system?
13
14 It should be possible to do safely, but I would make a backup just in
15 case, and since you are about to emerge -e world anyway, make sure you
16 have some "down time" available.
17
18 > Is there any benefit at all to using an i686 CHOST as opposed to i386?
19
20 Yes. For one thing it allows you to use nptl which is more efficient
21 for threading than pthreads. In fact, glibc-2.5 is nptl _only_, so
22 upgrading to glibc-2.5 will require CHOST to be i486 or better.
23
24 -Richard
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list