From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gvim slow to start
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 23:39:14
1 On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Philip Webb wrote:
2 >
3 > So you differ in having "cscope nls -perl": could it be one of those ?
4 >
5 Don't think so, they were there before. The "-perl" is the only
6 difference from my other box (the one without the gvim problem).
7 >>> 'emerge world' is always a bad idea (grin).
8 >> So I've heard, but what's the alternative? I do it frequently,
9 >> so as to not let problems build up. I also do revdep-rebuild -p.
10 >> reading the forums I get the impression there's some design fault
11 >> with the Gentoo way of upgrading, the need to keep the toolchain sane.
12 >
13 > The last should correct itself as you upgrade pkgs.
14 >
15 > The problem with 'emerge world' is that it makes assumptions for you,
16 > which is the very opposite of the Gentoo Way (tm). Once a week,
17 > I do 'eix-sync', which produces a nicely-colored list of pkg changes
18 > hilited to show those I have installed & their version updates.
19 Thanks for the tip.
23 Jorge Almeida
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list