From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] USB card reader needs a kick in the pants to wake up.
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 06:58:13
1 Used to be, I'd stick the my camera's SD card into the all-in-one card
2 reader, and it would show up as /dev/sdb (my SATA hd shows up as
3 /dev/sda). Now it doesn't show up automatically. "fdisk -l" doesn't
4 show it. But "fdisk /dev/sdb", followed by simply quitting fdisk wakes
5 it up. /dev/sdb shows up, and I can do the usual mounting. I have fs
6 type auto for /mnt/extdrive, because I may be hooking up an external USB
7 hd (ReiserFS), a USB key (FAT32 for compatability with work), or SD card
8
9 It was probably an "upgrade" somewhere over the past few weeks that
10 did it. Is this a known problem? Even better is there a known problem.
11 My Google-searching ability failed me with this one. My queries ran
12 into a whole bunch of people trying to set up udev rules to recognize
13 which device was mounted. That's not my problem. I simply need to have
14 the system automatically recognize that *SOMETHING* exists on /dev/sdb.
15 I can type "mount /mnt/extdrive".
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
19 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
20 --