From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Error during boot up.
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 21:39:32
1 On 2018-12-20, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I don't think it would help.  It's the speed that is the problem. It was
4 > almost impossible to read anything with my old CPU. It's nothing but a
5 > blur with this new one.  Mostly, I saw red letters and what looked like
6 > the word "error".
7 >
8 > If it will log the error, that is best because I can copy and paste it
9 > into a search engine and find out what it means and how to fix it, if I
10 > don't figure it out on my own.  May help someone else reading this tho.  ;-)
11
12 With most more modern motherboards this is probably not an option, but
13 when I'm troubleshooting that sort of thing, I tell the kernel to use
14 a serial console. I connect something to the serial port that logs the
15 data to a file (usually a second Linux machine running C-Kermit, but
16 there are untold other options), and Bob's your uncle.
17
18 With GRUB, you can usually hit <some character> to stop autoboot, then
19 <some other character> to edit the default boot options to add the
20 "console=" incantation.
21
22 If you really want to geek out, you can configure GRUB to use the
23 serial console also (but that's not really needed for your situation).
24
25 So far, I've been able to avoid buying a motherboard without at least
26 one plain-old-UART on it. These days you usually have to provide your
27 own ribbon-cable-DB9 bracket, but it's still a lifesaver for obscure
28 kernel problems.
29
30 Another option is 'netconsole':
31
32 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netconsole
33
34 It doesn't kick in as early as a serial-console does, but it it might
35 be early enough if the NIC driver and netconsole drivers are compiled
36 into the kernel as opposed to being a loadable module.
39 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Everybody is going
40 at somewhere!! It's probably
41 gmail.com a garage sale or a disaster
42 Movie!!