From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox update results in Yahoo request for newer version
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 01:06:19
1 On Jan 3, 2008 2:57 PM, Brian Marshall <snail@×××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 06:47:42 -0800
3 >
4 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Jan 3, 2008 5:17 AM, Brian Marshall <snail@×××××××××××××.net>
7 > > wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 03:32:47 -0800
10 > > > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
11 > > >
12 > > > > Hi,
13 > > > > On my wife's 32-bit Gentoo machine we did a large Gnome update
14 > > > > today which ended up doing Firefox-2.0.0.11 at the same time. On
15 > > > > her machine I happen to use Yahoo as my home page and now I see a
16 > > > > very boring home page with Yahoo giving me this message:
17 > > > >
18 > > > > Why miss out?
19 > > > > To see all the new Yahoo! home page has to offer, please upgrade
20 > > > > to a more recent browser.
21 > > > >
22 > > > > Supported browsers include:
23 > > > > Internet Explorer 7 optimized by Yahoo!
24 > > > > Firefox 2.0
25 > > > > Safari 2.0
26 > > > > Opera 9
27 > > > >
28 > > > > Are others seeing the same thing?
29 > > > >
30 > > > > Thanks,
31 > > > > Mark
32 > > > I just checked for you, and I got the same page using the Firefox 3
33 > > > trunk. This is why discriminating based on user-agent is a Bad
34 > > > Thing, Yahoo.
35 > > >
36 > > > --
37 > > > Brian Marshall
38 > > >
39 > >
40 > > Brian,
41 > > Thanks for checking.
42 > >
43 > > I don't think it's Yahoo. I think it's Gentoo 32-bit.
44 > >
45 > > My desktop machine is Gentoo 64-bit using 2.0.0.11 and it's working
46 > > perfectly fine.
47 > >
48 > > - Mark
49 > That's odd then. I just tried again and I'm still blocked, even after
50 > clearing cookies and throwing "Firefox" in my user-agent.
51 >
52 > I'm on 32-bit with a vanilla Firefox 3 from the Mozilla trunk.
53 > Hopefully Yahoo will wise up and realize the concept of "supported
54 > browsers" is absurd.
55 >
56 > --
57 > Brian Marshall
60 Yeah, my wife's 32-bit machine is still blocked. My son's 32-bit
61 machine which hasn't been updated yet is still fine as is my 64-bit
62 machine.
63
64 Logically so far I do think it's a Gentoo problem. If it was specific
65 to some Yahoo server that my house is pointed at it would have been at
66 least consistent on my wife's & son's machines, or so I think.
67
68 Strange problem.
69
70 Maybe it's a USE flags issue of some type. I'll do a comparison.
71
72 Note that today my wife is reporting a few new problems with the Gnome
73 update itself so maybe there is some larger issue. I've done a
74 revdep-rebuild on her machine. I've not finished all of the emerge
75 -DuN world updates yet but it's probably 95% done.
76
77 Thanks,
78 Mark
79 --