From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage is proposing an ncurses update and I don't understand what it means
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 10:09:55
1 On Friday 04 September 2015 01:01:34 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 04/09/2015 00:05, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 > >>>>>>> I think it is an Einstein quote
4 > >
5 > > [..]
6 > >
7 > >>>>>> And Feynmann said something
8 > >
9 > > [..]
10 > >
11 > >>>> I don't think they're misnamed, the problem is in our heads.
12 > >
13 > > [..]
14 > >
15 > > tl;dr
16 > >
17 > > I don't care.
18 > > I want to be a gentoo-USER (see name of ml).
19 > >
20 > > Don't get me wrong, I like fuzzing around with details etc (and most
21 > > people subscribed here know that from various threads I triggered ...).
22 > >
23 > > But don't you agree that it *should* be possible to simply pull upgrades
24 > > from the distro of choice without solving "problems in my head" ?
25 > >
26 > > IMO it's the definition of maintainers to keep that level of complexity
27 > > away from the plain users. Especially for users of the stable "branch"
28 > > (the OP of this thread wrote "stable" = amd64 machine).
29 > >
30 > > I admit: maybe I miss some point here because I didn't read the whole
31 > > thread.
32 > >
33 > > IMO "stable" should result in a (mostly ...) carefree and maintained
34 > > experience for the user.
35 >
36 > Sure. That's a valid POV.
37 >
38 > Gentoo config should be declarative, not imperative. You should tell it
39 > *what* you want, not *how* to do it. Packages and SLOTs are
40 > user-visible, they define what you want. Sub-slots, although I think I
41 > understand them, are a poorly though out implementation as they expose
42 > part of the how to the user. Worse, they sometimes make the user decide.
43 >
44 > And the name is confusing, it's all indicative of the concept not being
45 > thought all the way through.
46
47 I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has trouble with the ways other
48 people use English. :)
51 Rgds
52 Peter