From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg i810/i915 mode problem (modular X)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 07:24:33
1 On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 21:10 +0200, Jure Varlec wrote:
2 > On Sunday 21 May 2006 01:42, W.Kenworthy wrote:
3 ...
4 >
5 > The modes which xorg null's out are the ones your hardware cannot support.
6 > Only now did I notice that your laptop's native resolution is 1366x768. That
7 > is 768 pixels vertical. You physically cannot have 1024 pixels. Yet you write
8 > that you managed to force it once. Are you sure that was it?
9 >
10 > Anyway, I don't think you can use such a mode on your laptop. Your projector
11 > should work fine of course, but without clone mode.
12 >
13 > Another possibility would be having 1280x1024 workspace, which should display
14 > properly on the projector, but using a lower resolution on the laptop, which
15 > should behave like zooming because the workspace is bigger. I don't know how
16 > to do this off the top of my head, but it should be in the man pages.
17 >
18 > Regards,
19 > Jure
20
21 The chipset is capable of it, as is the external monitor. The external
22 monitor is an LCD which runs at 1280x1024 - its the internal laptop LCD
23 which appears to be the problem. When I did have both screens running
24 in their proper modes, it was in two completely different desktops which
25 doesnt work when you are trying to give a presentation! What I want is
26 the same desktop on both screens - looks like this is not possible.
27
28 I will investigate the viewport option, but I dont think that will help.
29
30 Billk
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list