From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SDD strategies...
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 18:18:01
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 17/03/2020 11:54, madscientistatlarge wrote:
3 >> The issue is not usually end of trusted life, but rather random
4 >> failure.  I've barely managed to recover failed hard drives, That is
5 >> less likely on SSD though possibly less likely to happen.
6 >
7 > The drive may be less likely to fail, but I'd say raid or backups are
8 > a necessity.
9 >
10 > From what I've heard, SSDs tend to go read-only when they fail (that's
11 > fine), BUT SELF-DESTRUCT ON A POWER CYCLE!!!
12 >
13 > So don't bank on being able to access a failed SSD after a reboot.
14 >
15 > Cheers,
16 > Wol
21 That's something interesting to know.  If one fails, recover but don't
22 reboot.  Knowing that is awesome.  It may not be a guarantee but why
23 risk it?  At the least, do a backup first, then reboot if needed.
24
25 This old guy needs to remember that.
26
27 Dale