From: Matt Randolph <mattr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] burning compressed iso
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:05:39
1 damian bamforth wrote:
2
3 >I want to burn an iso image with a .bz2 extension (the
4 >full file name is
5 >livecd64-ahorn5.iso.bz2).
6 >
7 >I only have windows xp.
8 >
9 >I tried the 'bsdtar' tool, but, whilst it decompresses
10 >the file, it
11 >doesn't leave an iso image which I can then burn.
12 >
13 >What do I do?
14 >
15 >Thanks
19 IMHO, the proper way to do what you need to do is with GNU tools.
20
21 Go to http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ and download the GNU Unix tools
22 for Windows.
23
24 Use bunzip2.exe to decompress the archive. If you know the md5sum, you
25 can also use md5sum.exe to check your archive too. There is no file.exe
26 however, so I don't know how you can determine what kind of file it is
27 that you end up with. If you need help using the tools, there is a
28 man.exe, but there aren't any pages for it to read. Instead, use the
29 --help switch to get an idea of how to use each tool.
30
31 IIRC Service Pack 2 provides TAB-autocompletion for Windows XP. If you
32 have that and if you throw all those tools into your path, it'll be the
33 next best thing to being at a real computer.
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list