From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD Movie backups
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 00:44:54
1 On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:13:43 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Yep.  I'm not aware of any Linux software that can create an encrypted
6 >>> DVD -- but I've never had a desire to do that, so my lack of knowlege
7 >>> of such a thing shouldn't be used as an indication of non-existence of
8 >>> such a thing. :)
9 >>
10 >> You also don't have the hardware to create them. CSS keys are stored on a
11 >> separate area of the disc, an area that is not available on DVD-Rs,
12 >> which is why yo cannot copy a CSS-encrypted DVD with dd, it copies the
13 >> encrypted data but not the decryption keys.
16 >> --
17 >> Neil Bothwick
18 >
19 > Interesting but still a little confusing. My DVD-RW drive can
20 > apparently _read_ the CSS keys because xine can play the DVD. I'm
21 > assuming here that the Linux DVD libraries need the keys but maybe
22 > they don't actually even need them to play a DVD if the encryption can
23 > be broken without the keys.
24 >
25 > I guess you are saying that either the CSS keys are completely
26 > unnecessary,
27
28 The CSS encryption scheme is incredibly poor. Where it's actually
29 applied, it can usually be cracked fast enough that you wouldn't
30 notice a stutter in playback.
31
32 > or that the DVD-RW drive can read but not write to the
33 > area where they are stored?
34
35 They may be read, but not written to. In order to read them, your
36 player software needs to present the DVD-reading devices with some
37 kind of credential. DVD playback devices are supposed to be licensed,
38 and this is the hardware means of enforcing that.
39
40 Consumer DVD burners aren't able to write to the portion of the disc
41 where keys are stored, either. This is part of the copy protection
42 mechanism of CSS.
45 :wq