From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Question about genkernel's default kernel config
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 12:27:18
1 * Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××.org> [160814 14:49]:
2 > On 2016-08-14 14:49 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 > > genkernel builds a kernel like for a binary distro or a LiveCD - works
5 > > everywhere (by enabling everything). You can customized it with a config
6 > > somehwow (I forget the details). But this is gentoo:
7 > >
8 > > cd /usr/src/<kernel-ver>
9 > > make menuconfig
10 >
11 > Don't you still need genkernel if you want to build an initramfs?
12 >
13 > The handbook (amd64) seems to imply you do, and I don't know of an easy
14 > way to build an initramfs just with the bare kernel source.
15
16 No, you don't have to use genkernel to build an initramfs (though using
17 genkernel will get you an initramfs.)
18
19 You can use dracut or any other initramfs builder after building the
20 kernel from "bare source."
21
22 I do that on three servers but generally just use genkernel on my
23 laptops and desktop machines.
24
25 Todd