From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub broke out of the blue
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 04:44:18
1 On 17 Feb 2009, at 04:17, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > I've no idea how it broke, but after an emerge --sync, a kernel
4 > (gentoo-sources) update was there. After I compiled the kernel, I
5 > did the usual "make modules_install && make install". I edited
6 > grub.conf only to the point of changing the booted kernel to the new
7 > one (just a matter of changing -r1 to -r2 at the end of the kernel
8 > filename). I reboot, Grub stops working. It just displays "GRUB"
9 > and hangs there.
10 >
11 > What might have cause this?
14 $ cat /var/log/portage/elog/sys-boot:grub-0.97-r6:20090117-194927.log
15 LOG: preinst
16
17 To avoid automounting and autoinstalling with /boot,
18 just export the DONT_MOUNT_BOOT variable.
21 WARN: postinst
22 *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
23 the new version's stage1 to your MBR. Until you do,
24 stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
25 later stages will be the new version, which could
26 cause problems such as an unbootable system.
27 This means you must use either grub-install or perform
28 root/setup manually! For more help, see the handbook:
29 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#grub-install-auto
30
31 LOG: postinst
32 To interactively install grub files to another device such as a USB
33 stick, just run the following and specify the directory as prompted:
34 emerge --config =grub-0.97-r6
35 Alternately, you can export GRUB_ALT_INSTALLDIR=/path/to/use to tell
36 grub where to install in a non-interactive way.
37
38 $
41 Stroller.