From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: lembark@×××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any UPS recommendations?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:52:24
1 On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 08:01:47 -0500
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > I think my UPS is dying. Time to get a new one. It's been years,
5 > so there may be new tech out there I don't know about. My normal
6 > usage is
7 > * 1 LCD monitor 24"
8 > * 1 (sometimes 2) "desktop" PCs connected to the monitor
9 > * 1 ADSL router/modem
10 >
11 > What brand and VA rating would people recommend. The stuff I'm
12 > concerned about is he 2 or 3 times a year I get power flickers, or a
13 > short outage. And also, if power is out for more than 5 minutes, and
14 > the battery is running low, I want the PC to be able to sense that and
15 > execute /usr/sbin/hibernate
16
17 I've had good luck with Refurbished UPS
18 <http://www.refurbups.com>. They rebuild
19 APC units, have decent prices with full
20 warranty.
21
22 Short of a full outage, a line conditioner
23 works equall well (APC makes several good
24 dones, 1250VA being more than enough for
25 most PC's).
26
27 After that you can get a "Smart UPS", which
28 is basically a line conditioner and a battery
29 in one box. This solves your flicker problems.
30 A Smart-UPS 750 will probably handle anything
31 you need for a desktop and L[CE]D screen, for
32 two of them you can get a 1.5KVA that will give
33 you plenty of time for shutdown even with two
34 machines.
35
36 For a home unit, your best bet is to size the
37 thing for a reasonable shutdown period rather
38 than try to keep everything running through
39 a potential blackout. Reboots don't take that
40 long and the cost+overhead of running an oversize
41 unit adds up. You have a different calculation
42 for servers or racks, where uptime is more of
43 an issue. The bigger ones also weigh a helluva
44 lot more, which doesn't sound like anything
45 until you break a desk or warp some shelves
46 unnecessarly :-)
49 Steven Lembark 3646 Flora Pl
50 Workhorse Computing St Louis, MO 63110
51 lembark@×××××××.com +1 888 359 3508