From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Output of "mount" and "cat /etc/mtab" inside install chroot?
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:24:32
1 On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 19 Apr 2014 07:43:18 Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I've got another thread going called...
5 >> "Strange behaviour with LILO on new install on old laptop". Before I
6 >> file a bug report, I want to check first whether it's my fault. Can
7 >> people here do me a favour? If you have a Gentoo install CD or USB key
8 >> handy, and are willing to reboot, can you please do the following...
9 >>
10 >> 1) boot from the install ISO
11 >> 2) chroot to a running environment
12 >> 3) list the output from the 2 commands
13 >> mount
14 >> cat /etc/mtab
15 >>
16 >> I'm getting absolutely no output at all from those 2 commands in the
17 >> install chroot. That screws up the lilo ebuild install process. I want
18 >> to check whether blank /etc/mtab is my fault or not.
19 >
20 > The installation handbook used to include a command to write /etc/mtab in the
21 > chroot by grepping the host mtab, but it's been removed and I haven't been
22 > able to find it. Meanwhile, I think it's standard behaviour for mtab not to be
23 > populated during the installation process.
24 >
25 > So I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who knows what mtab should
26 > contain.
27
28 I symlink "/proc/self/mounts" to "/etc/mtab".
29
30 But the handbook has "grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab".