From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] loopback into gentoo iptables
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 23:35:24
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 17:23:38 -0500
4 Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
5
6 > > Setting up NAT works using a sysctl (or the procfs). Restricting the
7 > > NAT works using iptables.
8 >
9 > I don't think that's quite right. Correct me if i'm wrong (please) but
10 > this should read,
11 >
12 > "Setting up forwarding works using a sysctl... and configuring
13 > and restricting the NAT works using iptables"
14 >
15 > Network Address Translation is taken care of by iptables itself, not
16 > just firewalled that way.
17
18 Thanks, I missed that, of course you're right! NAT would be
19 masquerading, and that's in fact netfilter/iptables' job. I was
20 probably just thinking about routing/forwarding in general...
21
22 -hwh
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list