From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 06:24:22
1 On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 02:05:41 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
2
3 > > But if you set m > 0, the filesystem will become full sooner, so
4 > > fragmentation will begin sooner (for non-root processes).
5 >
6 > Uh, really? I wouldn't think so. With m > 0, there is much space left,
7 > in large contiguous chunks, even though the user cannot use it all. But
8 > there should be no difference between writing files in terms of
9 > fragmentation. The reserved stuff acts just like a quota, at least
10 > that's what I always thought.
11
12 Yeah, that makes sense, so why should the reserved setting affect
13 fragmentation at all, unless you write so much data that the filesystem
14 would be full with a larger m? In that case, I'd prefer fragmentation to
15 a failed write.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Don't just do something, sit there!