From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Multiseat -- LTSP?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 05:27:42
1 I'd like to have multiple users working from separate monitors,
2 keyboards, and mice, but all connected to a single Gentoo computer.
3 The main purpose is to minimize sys admin duties but hardware and
4 power requirements would also be minimized.
5
6 Apparently this is called "multiseat" and native support in Xorg might
7 not be ready for primetime:
8
9 http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat
10 http://vignatti.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/multiseat-roadmap
11
12 There is a configuration tool for Xorg multiseat called MDM:
13
14 http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm
15
16 but from what I've read it isn't ideal. Besides Xorg multiseat I've
17 read about LTSP and a few others:
18
19 http://www.ltsp.org
20 http://www.thinstation.org
21 http://automseat.sourceforge.net
22 http://www.openthinclient.org
23
24 There are also a lot of proprietary options. Is LTSP the way to go?
25
26 - Grant