From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] new system, printing suddenly fails for all printers
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 00:47:03
1 I've been wrangling with a new gentoo install, on an AMD X2 64 bit machine.
2 It's been a problematic experience, but when the system works right, it
3 works really right.
4
5 Printing has suddenly failed. I had installed foo2zjs in support of an HP
6 P1005 printer, but it was masked by ~amd64. Then foomatic-db collided, so I
7 upped that to ~amd64. Meanwhile, and I'm not sure this was the problem, the
8 printer that had been working, and the deskjet that had also been working
9 both started to fail. I've been wrestling with many issues, including
10 alsa. There isn't any sound, and I"ve finally compiled a genkernel but the
11 sound isn't working, neither is printing.
12
13 I've seen a plethora of messages about failure to print, often cups. I have
14 reinstalled cups, new useflags, restarted, done several things, no change.
15 The printers are ok. Ubuntu's install disk has sound. I thought maybe
16 alsasound was causing a problem, because when I stop the machine, it stalls
17 on stopping alsa.
18
19 I need to print. Maybe tonight I'll get on irc. Meanwhile, can someone
20 suggest anything?
21
22 Print jobs show up both in the localhost:631 and the gnome cups interfaces.
23 They show up, and show as having printed. No such luck.
24
25 I'll try to # emerge -ua --newuse world after adding ~amd64 to make.conf.
26
27 maybe I don't belong with gentoo. I have to USE the computer. I can't find
28 a distro I want, though, that I feel confident I can install quickly and be
29 up to speed. I've cherried out this system with most of the tools I need.
30 Maybe gotten too crazy with USE flags:
33 ngs were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
34 # built this stage.
35 # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.
36 CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe"
37 CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
38 MAKEOPTS="-j3"
39 # WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
40 # Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before
41 changing.
42 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
43 # These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by
44 the
45 # profile used for building.
46 USE="mmx sse sse2 kpathsea gnome svg X avahi gtk hal dbus \
47 startup-notification xinerama cups xscreensaver nvidia usb truetype
48 jpeg png \
49 raw tiff faac faad mp3 theora v4l2 vorbis x264 xvid encode \
50 pdf exif xml consolekit embedded kde qt3support"
51
52 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
55 VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
56 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
57 FOO2ZJS_DEVICES="hpp1005"
58 LINGUAS="en"
59 # Does it work to have layman sourced after?AED
60 PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
61 source /usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf
62
63 GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/"
66 SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
67
68 Some use flages in package.use
71 net-print/foo2zjs foomaticdb
72 net-print/hplip cupsddk
73 app-editors/emacs-cvs gif jpeg png tiff xft
74 net-print/cups ppds dbus X
75 net-dns/avahi mdnsresponder-compat
76 app-text/texlive doc dvipdfm graphics png
77 x11-base/xorg-x11 bitmap-fonts truetype-fonts type1-fonts
78 app-editors/emacs-cvs xft
79 gnome-base/gnome-volume-manager automount
80 media-video/transcode dvd
81 net-p2p/deluge libnotify
82 net-dns/avahi qt3 dbus
83 media-gfx/gimp pdf
84
85 I am using a few overlays: science, dev-zero, emacs.
88 Thank you for any ideas on now to troubleshoot this. Also with Alsa.
89
90 Alan Davis
91
92 "...can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd
93 definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."
94
95 -- Woody Allen, quoted by B. A. Palevitz